Thursday, July 22, 2010

Check This Blog Out: The Skinny Gourmet

While in my second review of this blog, I haven't loved absolutely every single recipe on it - because, let's be honest, when can you love all the recipes on any site? - I am looking forward to trying out most of them. The Skinny Gourmet  discusses relevant topics, such as conserving water in daily life and the bloggers' code of ethics in terms of recipe reproduction, along with posting some decadent photos and recipes. She's been at this for quite some time, so I only looked back to the beginning of 2009. (That seemed like a good time to remember, since she has posted a "Best of 2008," so I'll be able to easily identify where I left it.)

Here are some of the ones I think are either interesting or definitely worth a try:
Tangerine Buttermilk Pancakes - I love love love pancakes, so variations on them are always welcome! This seems like just the right zest to spice up the normal pancakes, and I can definitely see myself playing around with it to create some fun new recipes, too.
Blueberry Scones with Pistachio Dust - Different things to try for breakfast are always worth a try, since I think breakfast is the most fun to both create and eat.
Salmon Salad - Fish is one of the best things to eat, so I enjoy seeing how different people make it.
Presto Pasta - Pasta in many different ways. I eat pasta a lot, so learning of fun and new ways to make it? That's definitely worth it!
Tortilla Espanola - I grew up with Spanish foods, so I try to make them a lot. I say try, since many of them (like flan), have to be made just perfectly. (I've yet to try flan. I'll admit it: it is the one food I am scared to try. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to make it or an amazing recipe for it, let me know. I will be forever grateful.)
Vegetarian Moroccan Stew with No-Knead Bread - I like the looks of this and can't wait to see how it turns out when I make it. I'm trying to expand my cooking experiences, skills, and my taste buds!
Chamomile Kumquat Tart - Can I just say how amazingly delicious this both sounds and looks?
Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese and Summer Fruits - I don't like lettuce (I know, I'm strange), so I am always looking for: a) salads and appetizers to make for others and b) appetizers to enjoy with others that don't involve lettuce, which aren't too crazy and can be fun and playful.
Wasabi Brisket - This just looked too good to pass.
Not Your Ordinary Smoothie - Who doesn't love a great smoothie? However, we know how expensive and wasteful they can get to be, not to mention how bad for us! This is all about the leafy greens, which is both a great way to increase your intake of those (yes, you... I know you've been slacking!) and have a smoothie without feeling all that badly about it.

I also liked a bunch of the other posts on her site. Here are a few you should check out when you have some time:
Gift Ideas for Foodies
7 Common Foods the Experts Avoid - While I do not believe everything I hear, particularly since it has been proven that some ridiculous amount of data (it was somewhere between 60% and 80%, which is a horribly vague number, but I don't remember it, sorry) saying things are bad for us and cause cancer, etc. is actually proven false within ten years of release. Isn't that frightening, considering how much emphasis people give to scientific studies? Anyways, I just thought that this was interesting, since these items are not terribly difficult to look at and avoid if you are concerned.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails