Friday, July 23, 2010

Lemon Delightfuls

These tasty treats are nice and small (the way I make them) for pop-in-your-mouth melting deliciousness. It is a nice amount of lemon flavor - not too overpowering, yet not too hidden. They are definitely different, but in a good way. I like them as a snack while studying, since they are small.

This recipe was made one day when I was sitting in my apartment and really wanting something lemon flavored. However, I also felt like being a bit creative. I'm not huge on making cookies alone, as I have bad wrists (and I make everything purely from scratch, no blender, no mixer, etc.). So, I looked online and read through a number of lemon cake and lemon cookie recipes. I had some reason to be making more cookies, though, so I adapted a couple of cookie recipes to make this new one. I hope it gets enjoyed by others!

I've only made it a few times, and not recently, so I apologize if I mistype anything here. If you have any questions, just ask me. I'll be correcting and/or changing anything the next time I make them if I feel like mixing it up a bit.


Lisa's Lemon Delightfuls

Ingredients

12  tbsp  butter (1  1/2 sticks)
9/4 cups flour (2  1/4 cups)
1    tsp    baking soda
1             eggs
1/2 cup   granulated sugar
1/4 tsp    vanilla extract (I just add a few drops in)

1    tsp    lemon extract (I put in ~100 drops - more is better here)

If you don't have baking soda, or one of the other ingredients, you can take it and the egg or flour out (depending upon what it is). I've made it before with these ingredients and it came out well as well: 16 tbsp butter, 3/2 - 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, drops of vanilla, and lots of drops of lemon extract. Toss in some flour if you have it, or not if you don't.

Put the butter in a microwavable bowl, in small chunks. (I usually cut it up with a knife.) Put this into the microwave to melt it for a few seconds - be careful to not put it in for too long. (I'd give a suggested time, but everyone's microwave and settings work differently.) In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and eggs. (You can do this whenever, but I like to get this going while waiting to touch the bowl again. Be careful not to let it cool too much beyond the point of being able to touch it, however, since the sugar must be able to melt in, essentially.) Mix in the sugar until mixture appears creamy. Add in vanilla extract; mix. Combine the two mixtures together by folding the butter and sugar mixture into the larger flour mixture. Finally, add the lemon extract by adding drops and mixing all throughout the bowl. You should be adding a decent amount, about 60-130 drops depending on your bottle, size of the drops, etc. (It also depends on how much you love the flavor of lemon.) Mix a bit more; it should be a bit creamy, yet smooth and difficult to move. Roll small balls onto the cookie sheets (don't forget to spray/grease them) - each ball should fit into the space made when you roll your index finger down your thumb and back to the webbed space between the two. Space them adequately on the sheet; I usually put them about 4 x 4 or 4 x 5 on the typical cookie sheet.

I don't have any pictures of these, because I've never really taken any in the past. I will the next time that I do, though!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails